Monday 12 December 2011

Come to my house, have some tea!

It's been a while since I wrote. Seems my eternal problem with writing rears its head again. So many times in my life, under the influence of strong emotions looking for a way out, I started a writing project, whether it was a diary, a blog or a novel, only to abandon it shortly thereafter, not because my emotions are gone, but because they found other outlets. Other times, I simply can't find the right words to express how I feel or what I've just experienced, so I don't even try.

Anyway, today it seems my writing mood is back, so here it goes:

I want to talk about hospitality, because the Afghan's approach to it has often left me humbled. In my work I sometimes travel to villages and meet some of the poorest people living in one of the poorest provinces in one of the poorest countries in the world. Lots of poverty, it seems, but not in spirit. 
So I visit the houses of these people, who rarely eat anything besides bread and tea, and I am offered a wide array of food: almonds, sweets, pistachio, yoghurt and vegetables. The hosts don't eat, these are probably the treats set aside for that honoured king or queen who is the guest, but they keep insisting that I do.They ask me if there's anything else I want; I'm sure if I had asked, they would have provided, even if it meant indebting the family to the neighbours or the local shop-keeper for months.

It was a very hot month of Ramadan, as it fell in August this year; it must've been extremely difficult for people to withstand those long, torrid summer days without so much as a drop of water. And, while urban Afghans often reason themselves into breaking the fast under the pretense of sickness, pregnancy, menstrual cycle or simply promising to make up for those days by fasting later in the year (preferably when the days are short and cool), most people from rural areas don't know enough about Islam to find such excuses. They only know what the (often little more educated) mullahs tell them, and this means fasting no matter what. I met a pregnant woman, already weak from a deficient diet, fasting while working 14-16 hours per day in the garden, fields and around the house. I met a woman who could barely stand up and was complaining about sickness, but insisted on fasting out of fear of God (just what has that mullah told her?!!).

And yet, all these women were constantly inviting me for tea and food, knowing enough about foreigners to understand that I wasn't fasting. This moved me in a way that's difficult to explain. Here were sick, physically weak, starving women who weren't allowed to have a drink of water in 40 degrees Celsius weather, but who were inviting me to drink and ear in front of them. 

I was touched, impressed, sad and angry, all at the same time. Impressed by the strength and kindness of these women, sad because they have to go through life with so many restrictions imposed on them by men who don't understand the rules either, only apply them and, finally, I was angry at people who take a religious requirement meant to promote better understanding between people and turn it into an instrument of torture. 

Talking to friends and colleagues who have studied Islam for years, I found out that the purpose of refraining from food and drink during Ramadan originates in the Prophet's wish that people understand the misery of those who live in poverty and go hungry every day. It's ironic, then, that it's especially these people who are forced, taking advantage of their ignorance, to perform this ritual, while the people it was initially directed at can afford to break the fast at sunset with an abundance of food. 

Makes you think, doesn't it?

2 comments:

  1. dear expat,

    thx for your insights. Please continue writing! I appreciate your sincere engagement with these women's lives. My problem is that I do not think that presenting them as victims of mullahs etc is actually supporting us readers in finding human empathy with their struggles and lives. How often does any of us sticks to hollow believes, to mirages blindly, out of fear or trust...
    Most importantly, I want to ask you if you could provide us also with more insights on your experiences and view of life in Afghanistan regarding how these people that you meet experience joy, peace, how do they play, how do they feel their life unfolding? At least this is what I expected when I read that you "meant to find the peaces (not the “peace”, as there is never just one peace), the beauty, the diversity of a society which has long been presented to us as a backwards haven for religious fanatics and violence". Please, would you tell us more about it?
    Thank you in advance!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,

    Thank you for your comment. You may be right about presenting these women as victims and perhaps I need to write a lot more in order to show the other sides. The truth is, they are victims, and this is not something I want to gloss over. But they also have an extraordinary power to reinvent themselves and that is what attracts me to this place and to my work.

    Unfortunately, writing doesn't come easily to me and I usually get "surges" of need to write, which is why the posts are so spaced out. I have a lot of insights, but I also realize that I am barely touching the surface of people's lives. So I make no claim that I will present an accurate image of everyday life in Afghanistan.

    Best regards,
    EGA

    ReplyDelete